The Sous Chef will be responsible for having excellent cooking skills, ensuring the proper execution of restaurant operations. Organize and conducts meetings with the kitchen and service team. Works with the kitchen team and controls performance, product quality and production flow. Maintain orders and organizes inventory daily. Ensures kitchen is in compliance with health, safety and sanitation standards. Train, supervises and assists in evaluating staff.
The Sous Chef must be familiar with all of the daily operations of the kitchen, and must be able to perform any task in the kitchen if needed. Strong leadership and communication abilities are a must. The following is a list of the duties performed by the Sous Chef:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Planning and directing food preparation.As the second in command, the Sous Chef will be responsible for managing kitchen staff to ensure food is prepared properly. The Sous Chef must be a problem solver, ready to come up with on the spot solutions for problems that may occur in the kitchen.
- Managing kitchen staff.The Sous Chef will have the task of ensuring that all kitchen workers are performing at the level required by a professional kitchen. He or she may be asked to discipline workers who are not performing their job correctly or professionally, and may come up with incentives to ensure that workers are putting their best effort forth.
- The Sous Chef is in charge of training new employees alongside Executive Chef and creating the schedule to ensure adequate manning for the kitchen.
- The Sous Chef will serve as the expeditor for the kitchen. He or she will be responsible for arranging tickets and ordering food preparation so that customers receive food in the order it should be sent out.
- Quality Control.The Sous Chef is responsible for ensuring that food that leaves the kitchen is of the highest quality and will make diners happy. The Sous Chef will ensure that portions are correct and the food is plated in an attractive manner.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Be computer literate and comfortable using MS Office software, including Word and Excel
- Catering experience a plus
- Menu development and food costings
- Health and Safety Standards
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Customer service oriented
- Culinary Degree or Equivalent
- 2+ years’ experience in kitchen management preferred
- Ability to work some weekends and holidays
- Culinary training a plus
- Food Handlers Card / Servsafe Certification
It is inevitable that other duties will arise from time to time. This is not a necessarily exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the proposed position, management reserves the right to revise the job or require that other or different tasks are performed when circumstances require. A formal review of this narrative will occur during the annual performance process. Annually, performance standards will be reviewed and updated to reflect the acceptable standard of performance for critical tasks required by this position.